Friday, November 26, 2010

Experimental Comic: Texas++

In January of 2009, I attended the Walker Art Center Multiples Mall and I had a new silly book for sale. Craft was really not my goal, telling a silly story in a new manner was. It was based off of a diagram in my Borland C++ Graphics Programming book. The original diagram was a drawing made on a computer with 1992 MS Paint-like technology. The diagram was of two different  computer mice that were specifically for graphic programming. One mouse had 4 buttons, while the other had 16. Imagine 16 buttons! Anyway, I made that diagram into two of my favorite characters.

4-button cursor Sheriff and 16-button Skully McShootface:


I then made a really small format 64 page graphic novel. Each page is roughly the same size as a trading card. I printed 25 of these little books, sold them all and then never printed more. When I printed the book, I wanted to try an experiment and draw every cover. So, I signed the back and sketched out one of the characters on the front. My folks have a copy of every one of my books, but I had to steal this one because I didn't even have a copy.



I reformatted it for the web to show 4 book pages per web image. Oh, there's also a bonus hand made note in each book that is part of the story. You'll see. So, without further ado, Texas++:

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I replied to your comment on my blog. And may I say that A) I love the use of that graph-thing to be an exploding bridge and B) if I have another kid I think I'll have to name it Skully McShootface Gillespie.

'Lil Ric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
'Lil Ric said...

I'd only read this once, very briefly, prior to this. Good to see your old work again! High res robot nuts is a great way to start Saturday.

Are you going to post those painted pages that you did at MCAD, the comic project before Amanojaku? I forget the title and also the premise aside from it being about astronauts(?) It was pretty though!